Bulletin #3, September 2009
2009 ECCAI General Assembly
The 2009 ECCAI General Assembly took place on August 28th during ACAI 2009. Details on the topics discussed are found in the minutes.
ECCAI Dissertation Award
This year 11 nominations were received. The recipient of the 2008 ECCAI Dissertation Award is Steven Schockaert, Ghent University, for his thesis "Reasoning about Fuzzy Temporal and Spatial Information from the Web”. In addition, an honourable mention was granted to Christian Plagemann, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, for his thesis: "Gaussian Processes for Flexible Robot Learning".
13 PhD Studentships and 3 Postdocs in Developmental Robotics (RobotDoc ITN)
To start 1st January 2010 RobotDoc (Robotics for Development of Cognition) is a multi-national doctoral training network for the interdisciplinary training on developmental cognitive robotics. The RobotDoc network consists of an excellent balance of academic and industrial partners, and of European and international laboratory leaders in developmental cognitive robotics. The network activities will have a significant impact on the career perspectives of the Fellows through training opportunities on industrial and academic research projects and skills.
This network is funded by the European Union Marie Curie program ITN Initial Training Network. Further information is found at the RobotDoc web site.
ECCAI Sponsored conferences
- 14th Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence (EPIA 2009)
Aveiro, Portugal, October 12-15 2009.
12th International Congress of the Catalan Association of Artificial Intelligence (CCIA 2009)
Cardona, Catalunya, Spain, October 21-23 2009.
- 21st BENELUX Conference on Artificial Intelligence (BNAIC 2009)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands, October 29-30 2009.
- 13th Conference of the Spanish Association for Artificial Intelligence (CAEPIA 2009)
Seville, Spain, November 9-13 2009.
- XIth International Conference of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (AI*IA 2009)
Reggio Emilia, Italy, December 9-12 2009.
- 29th SGAI International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI-09)
Cambridge, England, December 15-17 2009.
Contents of latest issue
(Volume 22, no.3 / 2009)
- Kostas Stergiou, Heuristics for dynamically adapting
propagation in constraint satisfaction
- Mark Hoogendoorn, Maria Gini, Preferences of agents in decentralized
- Albert Gatt, François Portet, Ehud Reiter, Jim Hunter, Saad Mahamood, Wendy Moncur, Somayajulu Sripada, From data to text in the Neonatal Intensive
Care Unit: Using NLG technology for
decision support and information
- Alberto Poncela, Cooperative behaviour-based complete
exploration for an autonomous robot
IEEE Intelligent Systems
Contents of latest issue (Volume 24, no.4, July/August 2009)
- Fei-Yue Wang, Moving Towards
- Mark Ingebretsen, GPU-Enabled AI
- André Platzer, Verification of Cyberphysical Transportation Systems
David D. Woods, Beyond Asimov: The Three Laws of Responsible Robotics
Jacob Beal, Patrick H. Winston,
The New Frontier
Artif cial Intelligence
Catherine Havasi, Robert Speer, James Pustejovsky, Henry Lieberman, Digital Intuition: Applying Common Sense Using Dimensionality Reduction
Kenneth D. Forbus, Matthew Klenk, Thomas Hinrichs,
Companion Cognitive Systems: Design Goals and Lessons Learned So Far
- Marjorie McShane, Reference Resolution Challenges for Intelligent Agents: The Need for Knowledge
- Nicholas L. Cassimatis, Flexible Inference with Structured Knowledge through Reasoned Unification
Hsinchun Chen, Ronald N. Kostoff, Chaomei Chen, Jian Zhang, Michael S. Vogeley, Katy Börner, Nianli Ma, Russell J. Duhon, Angela Zoss, Venkat Srinivasan, Edward A. Fox, Christopher C. Yang, Chih-Ping Wei,
AI and Global Science and Technology Assessment